Just brought home 3 new chickens: Need help with breed and sex (hopefully all hens!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WildchildT, Oct 7, 2012.

1. WildchildT

WildchildT New Egg

May 6, 2012
    Got these three (hopefully) gals yesterday at a farmers market chicken swap. They all look very healthy, albeit on the small size next to my big girls. Age is estimated 20-24wks. Owner, I think was Menonite, said they are: Americauna, Americauna hybrid (the one who's pic is first), and Blue Wyandotte. Is this correct??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been spoiled by hand raising my other 6 as they are so friendly. These 3 are very skiddish and untrusting, probably from not being raised as "pets". Any tips, tricks, or other advice for integrating newbies into an already established (current flock is 5months of age, 2 of which are laying and one silkie roo) flock appreciated.

2. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Looks like hens

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see all hens. The bearded one is an easter egger, the blue one looks to be a splash wyandotte. The first pic one, I'm not sure what she is. Phoenix, maybe? She's not an ee mix from the look of her.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the first looks like a game hen my mom had

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    All pullets, I love the Bantam Splash Wyandotte! Too cute!!! [​IMG]

6. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yup, looks like hens....besides most roosters will have attempted to crow by this age...

Integration should be gradual and you need to make sure you are quarantining first to make sure you aren't introducing diseases into your flock. Put your newbies into a seperate pen in sight of your other flock so they can get aquainted but not get at each other to attack. Once you put them together (ideally in a large area like free-range so that the newbies can get away if things get heated) you should be watching them closely. Don't interfere too much even if there is some pecking or tussling, this is normal and an essential process to re-establishing the pecking order. Only interfere if it is persistant or you see blood. Make sure you have plenty of feed and water stations out for everyone to minimize fighting over one.

As to people-izing them. Make sure you are talking to them and spending time with them everyday, even for a few minutes. Give them names and start trying to get them to eat treats from your hand. They will get used to you and their new routine quickly enough. Good luck!

7. They all seem to be hens, but keep us posted on the brown EE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by