Just brought home my babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicMom1961, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ChicMom1961

ChicMom1961 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Good afternoon all.. I just went and picked up my chicks they are 2 1/2 weeks old. The feed store I bought them from had them in an area like a big garage.. I have them in the "Brooder" in my house and the room and temp in the brooder is about 85 degs. I have vents closed to ensure no drafts to the chicks.

I have food and water in with them, they are walking around and scratching, I have watched them eat and drink.. I am taking this as a good sign....

any advise would be helpful

Thanks

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Congrats on your new chickadees!!!![​IMG] Well, right now I just advise that you do what you have already done :) make sure they are eating, drinking, and show no signs of being to hot or to cold. If you don't know what breed they are you can ask in the "What breed? Or Gender?" forum (and when they are around 6 weeks you can ask about gender as well!). Good luck and have fun!

3. ilovechickens90

ilovechickens90 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2015
    Southern California
    post pics whenever you can!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My chicks, three weeks old today, moved from my attached garage with heat lamp, to the coop, with heat lamp. YES!!! They raise an amazing amount of dust that's very bad to breathe. Get them out of the house as soon as possible! Mary

5. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    That is plenty warm if they are almost three weeks old. They are getting old enough to start picking due to boredom, so give them things to use pecking instinct. I do chunks of sod, raw sweet corn on the cob, apple quartered, melon,etc.

Before adding the sod, etc. you want to get some of the chick size granite grit. This is not same as oyster shell, which you don't need until they lay. Just sprinkle a good pinch of granite grit on their food form each bird about twice a week. When about month old you can give it to them free choice. Since I have birds of various ages free ranging I keep both chick sized and largeradult sized free choice. They like the chick sized best.

What feed are you using?

6. jcskowronek

jcskowronek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    congrats! have you had chickens before?

7. ChicMom1961

ChicMom1961 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    thank you... I know the breed and should have added that to the post..LOL sorry. I have 2 Ameraucanna and 2 silver lace Wyandotte. They are supposed to be pullets.. but I do have 1 that is kind of aggressive to the others so now I am wondering

So if I get chick gravel then they can start on other foods? I am not sure what the food is from the feed store it is "Starter food" and they said not to feed anything else but this until 4 months of age.

I am a new chick mom and will be a big worry wort while I am at work as they are kicking the pine into the waterer and I will worry they wont get enough water....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  8. jcskowronek

jcskowronek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    my family has had chickens a lot before, so i asked my mom about what helps to know. she said a big thing to remember is that chickens are very hardy animals, so don't worry too tooooo much. I'm sure they are very healthy considering the care I'm sure they are getting [​IMG] also, we've had ameracaunas and wyandottes, and they are super flexible ;)
    standard starter feed is great, and can actually be fed for a very long time. after a couple months you can switch to layer feed, but don't stress about it.

most chickens can start eating other foods such as grapes and melon as soon as that start on grit. grapes are a great treat! just make sure to cut up the grapes first, and that they're seedless. my chicks absolutely love grapes :)

julia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by