Just brought home my new babies! And heat is hard to regulate!

spryng

Songster
Sep 19, 2016
Strafford, MO
I'm so excited and proud to say my new babies are home! Ran down to Cackle Hatchery this morning since its only 30 minutes away from me. First, I have to say Chicken math is very real! Lol went in wanting 5... came out with 13! Though I must admit they gave me 3 extra and how could I say no to those little faces?
So let's see, easter eggers, barnevelders, silver laced wyandotte, columbian wyandotte, and I believe buff brahma if I remember right.
Got them home and in their brooder, I have an infrared heating lamp and starting using the thermometer the hatchery gave me and it said it was 110! So I moved the lamp up and still too warm, chicks were going to the cooler side of the brooder. Finally got it to 100 degrees and some are laying under the lamp and some right on the outskirts. Does that mean its still too warm? The hatchery instructions was to keep it at 100 the first week where everywhere else I read said 95. Where do you keep yours the first week? I'm checking them every 10 min to make sure they aren't getting too hot or cool. How will I know for sure? Most under the lamp or close to it or what?
And here is a couple pics :) 20190325_092715.jpg 20190325_102107.jpg

I really go by the chicks. If they are huddled together it’s too cold, if they are spread out and not moving much they are too warm. Mine usually rests at 90-93*
Yeah since I'm brand new to all this I wasnt sure how to tell when it was just right lol so if they are moving around well but just sleeping on the outskirts of where the lamp is pointing, is that their sign of it being comfortable? They don't need to be directly under the lamp?

Yes, still kinda warm... the reason why a lot of us don't use those 250 watt lamps suggested... it's fine for barn temps but in the house is usually overkill.

I to go by chick behavior. And you got some cuties there! :love

Oh boy... you're just getting started on chicken math... wait until you discover that can include ducks, rabbits, goats and more! :oops: ;)

Yes, still kinda warm... the reason why a lot of us don't use those 250 watt lamps suggested... it's fine for barn temps but in the house is usually overkill.

Oh boy... you're just getting started on chicken math... wait until you discover that can include ducks, rabbits, goats and more! :oops: ;)
Lmao! So true! I can't wait to get more animals on our little farm. Ok I have them in the garage which is heated so maybe I'll turn the main heat down in there so the lamp isn't overkill on top of it. I'll get this figured out and them comfy! Lol

Also, are you sure the thermometer is accurate? Stick the temperature-detecting bit of it in your armpit and hold it there for a couple minutes. It should be showing something in the vicinity of 98 degrees F.

Also, are you sure the thermometer is accurate? Stick the temperature-detecting bit of it in your armpit and hold it there for a couple minutes. It should be showing something in the vicinity of 98 degrees F.
Great idea! Yeah it's a tiny thermometer the hatchery gave me so no idea on how accurate it is but I'll try your method.

X2 on the chicken math part. I’ve always had chickens but now I have ducks and guineas and a pot bellied pig. I’m adding rabbits and goats and geese next year :lau

98 degrees! So thermometer is good, that's a relief. Moved lamp up more and will check it in a few minutes. None were laying under it so still too warm.

X2 on the chicken math part. I’ve always had chickens but now I have ducks and guineas and a pot bellied pig. I’m adding rabbits and goats and geese next year :lau
I wanted to get guineas too but they won't have them for awhile. Do they get along with your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom