Just brought home some babies

woolyfirefly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
We just bought 5 baby silkies. They are just under a week old. We have put them in their brooder and they are settling in. Just had a couple of concerns. We put a thermometer in and it is reading about 95. But the chicks are staying under it, but are panting. I showed them where the water and food are, But they won't move around too much unless we pick them up and put them back down. They are just sitting under the light and sleeping.

Just curious if this is normal behavior until they are used to a new place or if we should be concerned? We are total newbies. Never done this before. Never had chickens before. So any info I can get would be great?

I would raise the light just a bit (or dim it if you put it on a dimmer). I found that my girls seemed to prefer it just a tad cooler than the books say. Is there a cooler (say 85°-90°) spot in brooder that they can go?

Where's the pics???
pop.gif

Quote:
There is a cooler spot in the brooder. But they are staying under the light. Did finally get them to drink some water & a couple of them ate a little. But they are all still just sleeping & not moving around much. Is that normal?

yes, raise the light a tad until the brooder cools a bit
big_smile.png
Gongratz, I luv silkies!!! That said, this celebration calls for eye Candy~

39309_dscn1253.jpg

39309_dscn2203.jpg

Last edited:
If they are panting they are too warm, some chicks just aren't bright enough to know when to move, lol! Mine seem to prefer the temp to be a bit cooler as well.

They are doing great now. Eating like little piggies. I think they were just exhausted from being put in new evironment and everything.

Hopefully I can get a camera today and get some pics posted.

To blackbird12: are those fuzzy ones silkies? I am a very very new chicken and have no idea about the different kinds or anything, but trying to learn all I can.

Our babies are half silkies and half ?frizzle? I thnik. I am waiting for the person I got them from to email me back so I will know for sure.

THanks for all the advice.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom