Just brought my chickies home but one I think isn't going to make it!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissDottiee, Feb 23, 2013.

1. MissDottiee

MissDottiee New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    She's splayed out on the floor of the brooder and with her head back and legs outstretched! I tried to give her some water, which seemed to perk her up, but just not sure what to do? She's still breathing and even now and then making a little peeping noise. The other chicks are pecking at her every now and then or running over the sick one.

And now another chick is just being very mellow and not running around too much and just sitting in the same spot! .

Did I get bad chicks? Ugh! They seemed just fine when we picked them up less than an hour ago!

2. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    They're worn out and need nourishment like crazy. What do you have in their water to help? You can put sugar in their water to perk them up enough to eat. Do you have Sav-a-Chic? Definitely pick them up at least once an hour and dip their beaks several times in the water, and point them in the direction of food. It's still chilly out in most of the country so they might not make it since the trip was surely rough. Sorry, this is so be expected with some shipments of chicks, but it's sad nonetheless.

3. MissDottiee

MissDottiee New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    I put a little sugar in their water and put their little beaks in it so they knew where to go. The other two are doing amazing! Unfortunately, the little Amauracana died within the hour! And the little Barred Rock looks like it is not getting the hang of it. We have the brooder at 92 degrees according to the thermometer.

I will pick the Barred Rock up at least every hour to get some water. Let's hope he makes it through the night!!

We live in Northern California and the weather today is pretty balmy. We bought them from Mill Valley Chickens who gets them shipped.

Happily the other two are doing dandy and are wonderful to watch!

Thanks for your feedback, Jess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by