Just built incubator/fan ?

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I just built my incubator and when I installed the fan it was flat against the side of the incubator and didnt seem to be moving much air so i put two bolts behind it to get it away from the side a bit. Now i am thinking there is too much air flow. So i decided to ask, what is the way everybody has been installing the fan? Smack against the side or a bit away from it? 1 more question-my fan says it is .24 A but my transformer only is .2 A. Sooooo--is that a problem? Will my transformer burn out? Thanks for the advice!!!

I really don't know the best answers to your questions. We just finished putting a fan in our homemade incubator, too. We have an old plastic ice chest that we converted. We installed the fan under the lid on two 2" styrofoam blocks, like pedestals, and had the fan blowing towards the lid. The air flow is hopefully evenly deflected throughout by a pie pan mounted there. We also put four quart jars sealed and full of water in the bottom, to act like a heat sink and hopefully moderate temperature changes inside, especially if the power goes out. We're trying it out with some of our own eggs before trying to hatch some eggs we plan to purchase. Let us know how yours works out, OK? We're hoping to have great results to share, too.
Mike's Mom
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

That is a wonderful idea about the heat sink. I am still trying to figure out if i want to build an egg turner or a little hatch on the side to turn the egggs manually. I have 2-3 leghorn bantam eggs and 3(?) eggs could be cross between buff orp./black cochin/D'Uccle bantams. I am going to set those within the next couple of days. lets keep in touch!!!

I wired mine to the chicken wire away from the side walls. It moves the air better this way. The fan draws the heat from the bulb and circulates the warm air, creating a more even temp. My transformer has different voltage settings on it. I can control my fan speed It goes from 3 volts to 9 volts. I chose 6volts to run my pc fan on. It seems to be running at just the right speed.
jumpy.gif

DSCN1781.jpg

Back
Top Bottom