Just built my a roost for my girls (+1 roo) today :) (pic)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaSombra, Jun 21, 2009.

1. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    I made two parallel roosts with 2x4 boards cut 5 ft long and then a lower one as well. The two uppers are 2 1/2 feet up and the lower one is about a foot and a half up, I think. The upper ones are 18" apart.

So far, they've all tried it out and some have even taken some naps on it. I hope they sleep up there tonight!

I'm a first-time chicken mom here so if anyone has any further suggestions, I'm all ears. Here's a pic of one of my girls, Danaerys, on the roost.

I'm all excited! Nest boxes will be next but I still have a couple months for that. My older brood is only 2 months old...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. redstars

redstars Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Nice. I like how you made them wide. I should have done that. I put the 2x4 the other way. I think I'm gonna change it. Looks like your way will work better.

3. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:well, I learned from some on here to do it that way. I guess it helps them keep their feet warm because they can sit on the whole foot without having the toes sticking out to wrap around anything...

4. BigBen

BigBen Songster

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I jsut built my first roost this weekend.
    One is about 20 inches up and one is 42 inches.
    My 7 week old chicks made it to the upper one last night.

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

Wish I had done this. (Your hen looks very happy!). I attached mine to the nesting boxes...so once a week, I have to go out and de-poo the tops of the boxes. YUK! [​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice design [​IMG]

7. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:now THAT sounds like a really FUN job [​IMG]

8. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

9. ponchiepeepsDH

ponchiepeepsDH In the Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Lasombra,
    Love your roost set up, Could you take a pic looking down from the end, showing all 3 roosts and their supports. I like your design and want to copy it [​IMG]

10. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:Sure! [​IMG] I will do it tomorrow,

Funny thing...I just peeked in the hen house to see if they were using the roost... Well... they're using it. Only one is up on top though. The other 6 were roosting down on the support beam below! It's a 1x4 with the small side up! (you can see it in the pic) Silly chickens [​IMG] [​IMG] They're still small, though. Well see what they do when they're older [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: