1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just Came Back From Vacation (RANT) Birdsitter

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by usschicago1, Jul 24, 2011.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Well, I just came back from a week long vacation, and I am so Mad !!
    My Birdsitter left my feed storage top open, so it attracted a Family of squirrels, they ate about $50 in birdseed AND the next day when he did close it, they chewed a hole in the top! How how lazy can you get! I have had that feed there for 6-7 years, NEVER one problem, and now because he was too lazy to close the top I had to empty the remaining seed and I have to figure out a new solution! I really just dont understand people. I even caught one trying to get into the coop, but I ended up up catching and killing that one. There are two more though, Im assuming the female and the juvenile. I am not happy! I vowed never to go on vacation again, I cannot find a birdsittet that cares. Last year none of my birds had water, and the year before they were locked outside and had mosquito's in there water! Not to mention all of my beautiful flowers are dried up and died. I just don't understand, if he took TWO SECONDS to close the top, I wouldnt be out 50 dollars and a family of rodents.

-[​IMG]
    -Mark

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] I hear ya! Nobody cares about our birds and belongings like we ourselves do. I don't vacation, rather ..... the vacationers come here. I'm a home body anyway.

Sorry for ya. Wish I were closer. I would take care of them for you, so you could vacation in peace.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am so sorry. That unfortunate and angering. Vacation should be relaxing, but coming home to such a disaster pretty much does away with that.

I hope you can find someone who is responsible enough to take care of your plants and birds so you can vacation in the future. I know when I moved away to college the neighborhood mourned because I was the only person everyone trusted to petsit, plant water, housesit, etc. when they went on vacation, and everything would be perfect when they returned. Responsible people are out there, but you mostly only find them through word of mouth.

4. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I hate being away from our pets... I think this may have been our last summer of vacations [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you used this petsitter before? I've been using the same petsitter for quite a while. She's dependable and conscientious. For this I am extremely thankful. Without her, the Princess and I could never go away. A non-traveling Princess would be very unhappy. [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The last two times I went away (for work) I came home to dead birds. The first bird likely froze so I can't really blame the sitter. The weather was freakishly cold that week. My original sitter couldn't do the second round, so I hired a different student (college age, around 22 yo). The second time the sitter didn't bother to fill up food bowls or water bowls. I was gone a week. Thankfully the bowls are big so they had a fighting chance. I came home to find half grown babies crammed down in the top of the hanging feeder. The bottom one was already dead. Three more lived in the house a week while I nursed them back to health. Every feeder and waterer was bone dry. She lied through her teeth when questioned about it. [​IMG]

In addition, the trashcan with the scratch in it had been left open and 25lbs of scratch got wet and went moldy. Both of the bins of feed also got wet. I threw out tons of food. Nothing about it makes me want to go out of town ever again.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Too bad you aren't closer Mark, we could help each other out! I need a new sitter for my birds and all I can find are teens who know nothing about chickens. I had a great sitter (works at the feed store I go to) but he moved too far away to come over twice a day.

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Thanks Everyone! I knew you would all understand. Really the only good pet-sitter is someone who raises there birds for hobby. There is no-one like that close enough to me. I called every other day to see how everything was, and he said fine. Guess Not.
    Sourland I did use him last year, but I went over everything done wrong and paid him double [​IMG]

Keesmom- I know it [​IMG] Too bad that would work out perfect !!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You said it. The only one that will do it right is someone who has their own chickens. I am lucky enough to have a fellow BYC'er about 15 minutes from me, and we would take care of each other's birds.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At our old house I always had a tough time finding a reliable person to care for our cats when we were gone. Thankfully cats are pretty self-sufficient. Here I've had much better luck.

I would suggest a couple of things. First, be willing to pay a good wage based upon the amount of time it will take. If they have no experience, have them come by for at least a couple of days before you leave, and help do the chores with you; pay them for that. Make sure you observe and give corrections as needed. Explain why you do thing a certain way when a different way may seem obvious.

During vacation, call and check a couple of times, asking how things are going? Make sure they have a phone number to call you, and tell them the types of things you want them to call about; that it is not just for dire emergencies, but for ANY questions.

Consider their age and maturity when you select them. If a kid, will their parent help? I've had both good and bad luck with kids: the parent involvement really makes a difference. Adults are more likely to have maturity than are older teenagers. But there are always exceptions to both.

Never pay until the job is completed, and pay according to how well they cared for the animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by