Just came home to a bloody comb'd hen!! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smallflocksam, Mar 9, 2017.

1. smallflocksam

smallflocksam New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Hi I just got home and noticed one of my white hens has half her comb missing and it's all bloody! I tried to hold her to wash it off but she wasn't having it and I'm worried she'll die if it's not covered or wrapped.

Was this because of my rooster or another predator!? She is running around acting like normal, but she keeps shaking her head and i noticed her one claw is all bloody like she's been scratching it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover! Are any of your other chickens bloody she may have got into a nasty fight. One of my chicken got about a quarter of her comb ripped of in a fight. The bleeding stopped and she was fine. If none of the other chickens have blood on them i would say its safe too say it was a predator. Try too washout the wound just run some water over it and then put some coconut oil or petroleum jelly on it. That will help it heal and also prevent stuff from getting in to the wound and causing infections.

3. smallflocksam

smallflocksam New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Thank you for writing back so soon!! No, none of the others have blood on them so I guess maybe it was a predator... she was fine like 2 hours ago so it must have just happened. I'll try to grab her and run her under water...

thanks again!!!
    samantha

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Just looked up predator identification and it said weasels or minks are the ones that usually go after the head. Also raccoons are known for going after the head and neck and eating the comb.

5. smallflocksam

smallflocksam New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    thanks for the response! but i have never seen any of those animals here.. maybe a raccoon down by the creek but never during the day. i live on a big open farm up on a hill -- hawks are my main concern, a few fox have been spotted but never close to the house, owls, possum and skunks.. that's about all.

hm.. maybe she got her comb stuck on a fence? i guess it might just be the rooster.. :/ i'm just glad she's acting normal..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by