Just Candled...Day 8, Not Sure if this is good or bad...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Nov 13, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I've never hatched eggs before, so this is my first candling experience. I took a flashlight and shined it down on the each egg in a dark room. What I saw was a spot with viens...which I know is good. But, it seems like (and my light/candling method isn't probably the BEST) the small part of the egg (on the bottom) is dark and the top part (the wide part of the egg) is light and almost appears to be a watery substance. The viens are in the middle. Is this what I want to see???

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think so, I'm a newbie too, but I actually have a broody hatching the eggs I was candling and keeping an eye on. So far, 5 have hatched out of 7!!!!! [​IMG]

I think the light area at the big end is supposed to be the air sack and the darker area is where the chick is at.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    It take a lot of practice to learn to candle well. It sounds like you on the right tract. Look at as many threads as you can. Good luck and let us know how it works out. What your decribing sounds good.

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thank you all for your responses! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we end up with a baby or two at the end of this. [​IMG]

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I candle at 10 day's and I've hatched 100's of eggs, plus unless your eggs are cracked or you need the room in your 'bator, removing clear eggs is not that important, think about it a hen doesn't remove infertile eggs

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:Agreed. Some ppl are quick to throw out eggs. You get better at it over time.[​IMG]

7. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Im in the same situation and im on day 8 too i believe. I candled last night and got about 9/16 for sure so I might candle again tonight!

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    over candling is not good either, the jiggling of the embryo can kill it that is one reason I wait till 10 days and for serama I don't touch them till 18 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by