just candled, day 8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Dec 28, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I just candled my eggs this evening on day 8, I know I'm a day late but I think the results were pretty good, I think...some of the eggs had dark spots about the size of a small pea that floated around pretty freely and some had just veins I could clearly see and some didn't seem to have much of anything. This is my first incubation and I don't know what to expect, what do you think, do you think I will have a successful hatch? [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I think you might have some good ones. The ones with the veins are great. The clear ones are probably unfertilized... Compare with a store bought egg to know for sure.

The ones with the peas floating... hummm were they moving? Were there viens attached to the peas?

3. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Hope for one, and just be thrilled if you get more!
    With what you have posted I would say that you definitely have some eggs that will make a go of it! Good luck!

4. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:As I moved the egg from side to side it seemed to float with the movement of the egg kind of staying in the same spot, I candled kind of quick and didn't want them to cool off too much. As far as veins, yes it did look like they had veins. I also don't think my flashlight is bright enough, but it's all I have, it's a small led..[​IMG]

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I always go by the veins. If the veins are dark and come right up to the air cell then the eggs/chicks are going strong. As soon as a chick dies the veins get light colored, broken up and soon disappear. You don't always see the chick (dark spot is the eye) moving in all your eggs at first candling.They will even dive down and hide at the bottom of the egg when frightened by your candling light. Sounds like most of your eggs are doing great [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch!

6. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Thanks for the good luck wishes all! [​IMG] This hatching thing is so addictive and nerve racking! [​IMG]

7. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Good Luck!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by