Just candled my eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chixruleboysdrool, Oct 7, 2011.

1. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    I just candled my eggs and I could see an air sack at the fat end of the egg. The middle of the air sack had a little dot in it. I am at day 5 of incubation. Is that what it's supposed to look like?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  3. chixruleboysdrool

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    Anyone else?

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  5. chixruleboysdrool

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    Thanks for the pictures, but mine don't look like that yet. Do you think they are supposed to have an air sack with a little dot inside at day 5?[​IMG]

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:you're seeing the yolk not air cell. the air cell is just an area at the end of the large end of the egg. if there's actually a spot in the air cell, no that's not a chick.

by 5 days you would see veins coming out from around the chick, and be able to see the eye developing too. pete55's pics are the best i've seen outside a textbook. mine are nowhere near as good, as my flashlight isn't that powerful, but here's a pic of a silver grey dorking egg that was shipped and is on day 8 now.

[​IMG]

you can't see the eye on the photo, but it was more visible in person. that pic was taken on day 6...

edit: the air cells on all these eggs seems abnormally large, as they were badly scrambled in shipping, but *knock on wood* all but 2 of each shipment (21 dorking and 14 EE) are developing nicely. so go figure. #3 was the worst of the dorking eggs for air cell condition. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  7. chixruleboysdrool

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    Mine don't look like that yet. Will they still hatch???[​IMG]

8. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:if you're on day 5 and not seeing ANY blood vessels, then nope don't think so. i started seeing blood vessels on day 3. faint but they were there.

today (day 8) you can't hardly see anything except a few blood vessels and the shadow of the chick swimming around.

if i can get hubby's help i'll do a quick video. kinda hard to hold the camera and the egg, and the flashlight and... [​IMG]

9. chixruleboysdrool

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't toss any eggs until I candle at day 10 that way there are no guesses if the eggs are good or not. I candle at day 10 and when I set the eggs in the hatcher at day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by