Just candled my first batch off eggs - Excited and confused

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    OK....I just "candled" my first ever batch of eggs (all Buff Orp so they are brown and a little hard to see thru). Before doing this, I have looked at all the BYC sites, Googled, etc, etc to learn as much as I could about what I should expect to see. I have 14 eggs in the incubator (it is a new Hovabator Genesis 1588 w/auto turner), and it appears to me that I have 14 eggs that ALL LOOK GOOD. We are at day 10, and on 12 of the 14 we definitely saw "movement" and a good air sac developing. The other 2 we are relatively sure we saw movement, it was slight, but no blood spots, no rings, no "infertile eggs". Is it possible that 100% of these are ok, or am I just not being critical enough of what I am seeing?? My wife and 2 boys were helping me and we all swear that they were moving...is it possible they are moving around on day 10? Help me out please!! I want to be excited, but, not prematurely. THANKS EVERYONE.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Sounds to me like you have 14 good eggs. [​IMG]
    Now just keep everything where it should be. [​IMG]
    candle again on day 18 , by then the eggs should be mostly full and dark and all youll be able to see is a little movement maybe around the top of the eggs by the air cell .
    Sending you good incubateing and hatching vibes [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. Orpington Poultry

Orpington Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    California
    How exciting. Good luck with the hatch.

K.

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Thanks very much....I feel kinda silly, a 44 yr old man excited about baby chickens, but this is soooo neat. Thanks for your comments....my boys are thrilled.

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Everything sounds good to me. Sending good hatching:thumbsup vibes!

6. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    yes it's possible! Good luck with the hatch![​IMG]

7. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    It sounds good...

I just hatched out some cochins and had all of them hatch

So yes you can do it too

8. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know the feeling I am 42yr old man and still get excited with every hatch. To me it's the closest I have come to the way I used to feel on Cristmas Eve when I was child. Good luck with your Buff Orp eggs they will make Great birds!

9. Orpington Poultry

Orpington Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    California
    You think you are excited now? LOL just wait till that first --PIP-- Then ---ZIP---, Then off comes the top and you have a beautiful baby chick, that does have fuzz it just doesn't fluff till dry. [​IMG]

Let us know how things go.

K.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Hey guess what? With every hatch you get just as worried and also just as excited when they hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by