Just can't decide!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinkrblu, Aug 24, 2013.

1. pinkrblu

pinkrblu Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    Help me finally decide which are roos and which will be giving me eggs!!! Two are EEs (sold to me as Ameraucana), one Silver Laced Wyandotte and one Barred Rock. All names are subject to change as necessary. [​IMG]

Meet "Stella"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And "Mary"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's "Lillibet"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, this is "Winston"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pinkrblu

May 2, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    They are about 16 weeks old.

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I am a little new on sexing and am basing this on hackle feathers that only roos have.
    Stella: Rooster
    Mary: Pullet
    Lillibet: Pullet
    Winston: I can't tell, but it is a pretty bird.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Think the first three are girls, really like Mary's color. I think I would keep Winston's name for now, can't decide on that one.

5. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Stella is definitely a roo see the pointed hackle feathers around his neck (hens are rounded). He also has what appears to be saddle feathers near his tail and the set of the tail looks cockerel not hen.

The wyandotte is maybe a roo but they are hard to tell.

The other 2, I believe are hens.

You never know until they crow. LOL[​IMG]
    Check the pictures on feathersite.com in the Wyandotte section http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

Clear the Editor

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those are all hens.

Easter eggers often have deceptive coloring that makes them appear to have pointed hackle and saddle feathers, but it's only the color, the feather itself is rounded. Easter eggers are sexable by color and both those birds are colors only seen on females.

Barred rocks and laced wyandottes are also sexable by color. Barred roosters are much lighter in color, and laced wyandottes have large patches of white on the shoulder and just a different color pattern overall.

7. pinkrblu

May 2, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    In this case, I'm praying donrae is correct!!! I had planned to butcher anyone that crows, but you know how it is... I'm attached. :)

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x2. Especially at 16 weeks, these are all pullets. Besides the fact that these breeds are all sexable by color as donrae said, I think some folks got fooled by rounded feathers that have a pointed pattern on them. Sometimes you almost have to put a piece of paper under a hackle feather to see that. Also, at 16 weeks these birds would have true saddle and hackle feathers, rooster tails, and much, much larger combs and wattles. You don't need to wait for a crow.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Are silver and gold laced wyandottes always sexable by color by the age of that bird, 16 weeks or so, they won't develop the male feathering later? For some reason those two colors always look roosterish to me, heads especially, and I'm never sure they are girls until they lay an egg, preferably two.

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yep. The males and females look really different. Check out this GLW Rooster (from a BYC thread):
    [​IMG]

And here's a SLW from the BYC Wyndottes page:
    [​IMG]

They look really different from the females, with those solid colored hackle and saddle feathers and the characteristic rooster patches of solid color on their shoulders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by