1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just can't figure her out...crop issues?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlouiselle, Jan 13, 2016.

1. tlouiselle

tlouiselle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I posted yesterday about a pullet that had just been treated with coccidosis. She was doing wonderful, then a day and a half started to go downhill again. I have had her seperated from the clock for a while because I treated her, left town and someone else too kcare of her for me, then when I came back she was worse than before so I retreated her. She was doing great until 2 days after her treatment ended.

She was back to being lethargic and weak. Droopy head. Droopy wings.

This morning I went to check on her and discovered her crop was very doughy. So I started researching on the internet. I ended up giving her warm water/olive oil with a syringe, I massaged it, then helped her throw it up...I did this twice. She perked right up. I read the give soft food so she ate scrambled eggs. She was talking.

Now once again she is standing there with her head droopy.

Even she she does well and she is active her head is slightly droopy. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    She is a beautiful silky. Do you give her grit with her food? I would try yogart and applesauce for a couple of days. Electrolites would help her too. You can get the packages of electrolites at a feed store their only about 3.00. Good luck I hope she gets better soon.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What does her poop look like? Has she ever been de-wormed with Safeguard or Valbazen?

-Kathy

4. tlouiselle

Mar 15, 2015
    She does have grit in her food. Good news and bad news though. The good news is she is digesting (YAY). The bad news is I think she is having issues with drinking to digest because this is looking like wry neck. I am running to get her vitamin E and selenuim. I hate guessing what is wrong. Then it is all trial anderror. At least I have something to work with though!

5. pattyhen

Apr 20, 2007
    I hope the vitamin e helps her. I think your right about your dianosis I never thought of that. Let us know how she does. Good luck

6. tlouiselle

Mar 15, 2015
    She is doing AMAZING! (I needed some good news because we have been fighting so many health issues lately due to our unsanitary neighbors). I was honestly scared to check on her this morning. I half expected her to have not made it through the night with how she was yesterday. She was up, talking, running around. Goodness is the hyper. I had to transfer to a larger playpen because she was knocking everything over in her hospital cage. She did have slightly red in her poo but that could be the food. I started her on something for cocci just in case. She had gotten over it a little while ago, I treated her but left her in a playpen while I went out of town and a friend watched her, and it had come back while I was gone...she had to be re treated.

I have her on vitamin E, selenium (all in her food which is scrambled eggs and a mash of yogurt/chick crumbles). She is doing great eating on her own at the moment and has been PIGGING out all day. She is on her feet, alert, and will NOT sit still. A huge change from yesterday. Yesterday she didn't have much interest in eating, slept all day. If she was up she just stood around. I keep feeling her crop and it is digesting...I have not seen her drink water so I am giving her water with a syringe just to be on the safe side.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Glad she's better! You've probably already seen this, but here is is just in case you haven't

-Kathy

8. tlouiselle

Mar 15, 2015
    THANK YOU! I am saving this!!!! She is my favorite out of these babies too <3

9. pattyhen

Apr 20, 2007
    [​IMG] I'm so glad she is better, thanks to your excellant care and research..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by