Just can't figure this silkie out! Boy or Girl?

NoseyChickens

Feathers On The Ground
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Southern California
this is my only silkie that has any kind of comb at all. I have not heard it crow but my son swears he has. He(?) would be about 5 months old. I asked about this oneon here before and got mixed results. Sorry the lictures aren't that fantastic, it's hard to get this bugger to stand still!

38307_100_1839.jpg

38307_100_1840.jpg

38307_100_1841.jpg

I'm by no means an expert, but it looks like a pullet to me. It has the same style feathers around the head as my Silkie hens, and I see no "streamers" (longer wisps on the back of the head--sort of like a mullet hairdoo) that the roos usually have.

Well, I just sold my splash because he looked like a pullet up until he was just six months old... Even posted pics of him on here afew times, and every one thought pullet... Then I was out one morning, and was watching my chickies, and out came a perfect crow from my little Splash baby
barnie.gif
He now has a wonderful home in CO, but I would have loved to have a silkie around just for the cuteness
wink.png
My point being, Splash matured pretty late, so just wait it out... My fingers are crossed for you!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Out of five silkies, this is the only one that is not super puffy. Way smaller than the rest until just the last week or so. It likes to go up to the other chickens and flutter up in the air and kick then, which I have only ever seen my roosters do. Either way, I'm fine with it! I won't even have to change it's name! Itty Bitty isn't gender specific!!! LOL

Thanks for taking a look and giving me your opinions! I really appreciate it.
smile.png

I would say pullet. And a pretty one.
smile.png

Editted to say: Uh oh, your silkie was fighting? The only silkies I had that fighted like that turned out to be roosters...
Don't get your hopes up yet.

Out of all my silkies, the suspected roos are much bigger than the rest. Their combs are getting reddish. There are some stringy hairs coming off of their afro on their head and they are fighting. My suspected roos have been fighting/play fighting since day one! And I don't think I've seen my suspected pullets fight once. But I've heard pullets do sometimes.

Good luck.
smile.png
Just don't get your hopes up. I'm 50/50 on this bird now.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom