Just caught them red handed......

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RoosterRidge, Jul 23, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    DH just caught the girls and boy devouring his tomatoes. Will they get sick from eating the green ones. I don't give them ripe ones because I was afraid of the acid and what it would do to thier tummy. Please someone tell me that they won't get sick from this.[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Goodness no! They LOVE tomatoes! I give them to mine all the time and they are devoured in no time - red or green.

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Bless you for responding so quickly.[​IMG] I know it sounds silly but they are spoiled beyond rotten. Don't want to do anything to hurt them. We have had temps so high here the past 2 weeks that we got them a pool and put it out for them. That is how protective I am when it comes to our chicks. Don't know how we survived all these years without them. [​IMG]

4. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    im justing growing them and my 10 week old chicken thinks she can eat the leaves lol

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I've been feeding my chickens worm bit and overripe tomatoes every day. They love them and it sure doesn't seem to be hurting them any.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:should never feed worms, they are host to capillary, tapeworm, and gapeworm....they find enought on there own, not good for them. reason all chicken need wormed.

7. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

You shouldn't feed them worms? Uh oh, is that earthworms or inchworms? cause i just feed mine those nasty big green juicy tomato hornworms. They loved them and I was happy to get rid of the worms- will they really give them worms? Ugh.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There is a thought that earthworms can give poultry internal parasites. I'm not sure how much stock to place in that so take a middle road. I don't feed earthworms to them (would rather have them working their magic in my soil anyway), but if they find and eat them, I'm not going to stress about it.

As for the green tomato horn worms, there is little that is more satisfying than watching those go down the gullets of the girls, is there? To know in one swallow I am eliminating a pest that wants to eat my carefully nurtured tomatoes AND providing a high protein snack for my girls? Oh yeah.....

Actually, in my vegie garden, I use no pesticides. Instead I just patrol regularly and pick off any caterpillars I find, then when I am done, feed them off. Win-win in my opinion. [​IMG]

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:X2

And the tomato worms are sturdy enough that the chickens might play a quick tug-of-war with them if they're big enough. Hilarious!

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Thats earth worms..... y7es they will get those worms listed in my other post.

Know some people don't even worm their chicken, will it kill them in some cases ,but not most....but will affect their health and how much feed to produce eggs.....tapeworm if you don't mind feeling them also......gapeworm are killers.

Yes i know they eat earthworms ,reason i worm all my birds, just because they eat things doesn't mean its good for them.

Show birds that have worms ,will never be in show condition.

Cecal worm host are beetle ,grasshopper

Tapeworm host are ants,beetles,earthworm,slug,snail, and termite

Gapeworm host are earthworm,slug,and snail.

So with those facts ,sure most free range chicken get worms, wazine which alot of chicken owner use only kills roundworms..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by