Just chicken in!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lardy, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Lardy

Lardy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Evening all,
    My silkie cross Aracauna is on day 20 tomorrow I looked at an egg this evening it had a large air space.
    And feels quite dense.
    She is sitting on six light sussex quite ardently.
    Is there anything to do?
    No sign of a break out on the shell yet.
    These are my first chicks ....cluck cluck!
    Regards Andy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Lardy

Lardy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oh also, when she went broody I got the eggs, she sat on them and the others used to lay under her as well.
    About halfway through I built a new flash penthouse suite for the other girls and they decided to stop laying, although they are not exhibiting the signs of being broody, are they liable to come back online when she has the chicks running about?
    Obviously I will let them grow on a bit before I allow them in with the mob?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Chicken eggs usually hatch on day 21, though I've seen earlier and later hatches, I would start listening for peeps from day 21 onwards.

The other hens are most likely still a bit stressed from the move to the new house. Most chickens hate change and things like moving house, meeting new flock members, losing a prominent member of the flock (like the cockerel) can throw them off laying for awhile. Give them a bit more time. Don't wait too long before introducing the momma hen and chicks to the rest of the flock. The longer she has them with her, with the flock the easier things will be for them when she weans them and they have to fend for themselves. Ideally by then they should be an established part of the flock and this will be easier if they come with mom, who is already known to them, and will protect them.

4. Lardy

Lardy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks Sumi,
    QB is the brooder, she runs the show when she is with the other mob, so I guess she will protect the young ones well enough, she definitely is top dog in the flock.
    The old chook house that she is in still sits in the run, it in turn has it's own run so it will give the rest of the flock to familiarise themselves with the chicks early on anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by