Just Corn feed?

PortugalBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I have a surplus from my corn crop this year, and I'm tempted to not spend money in chicken feed until my corn ends, but I'm worried if corn is not enough to give them a complete diet? Do I need to give them any extra supplements beside corn? How much protein is in corn cereal?

Last edited:
Quote:
If you feed only corn, you will not get any eggs.
Very little protein, lots of carbs.

ETA think about it a minute.
Is eating only one food good for all over health.
Especially a food that is low in nutrition?

Last edited:
Quote:
OK, didn't know corn was low in nutrition.
Free range is a good option, I was already thinking about fencing my property, maybe now I have the motivation, so maybe if I add other cereal it will work by now?

Are you asking about maize? Or another grain? What should be added to it will depend on what grain you have -- I know in some places outside the U.S. grains other than maize are also called "corn" whereas in the US maize and corn are interchangeable and "corn" is not used for any other grain.

Quote:
OK, didn't know corn was low in nutrition.
Free range is a good option, I was already thinking about fencing my property, maybe now I have the motivation, so maybe if I add other cereal it will work by now?

Free range, and then mix the corn with maybe some wheat or barley and some field peas, and just feed them small amounts.
You will still keep your costs low this way.

Make sure and crack the corn.

Quote:
Yes, I meant Maize, in Portuguese you say "Milho", translated in Google translator turns into Corn, but by wikipedia it's Maize.
big_smile.png

Quote:
OK, thank you very much.

Last edited:
You may be able to get a poultry base concentrate from your local feed dealer, then grind it in with your corn.
Quote:

X2 to everything said!
If you are on a farm with high quality greens, lots of insects and so forth corn and full day free range may work.. If the quality of the range is not superior a balance poultry diet will give you the best performance from your birds.

The birds do best with several different kinds of grains, seeds and some type of meat protein if they do not get it on the range.

Let us know what you have avalible to you.. We can then offer an opinion..

ON

Back
Top Bottom