Just crowing about my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linn Bee, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my first egg on Sunday, Oct. 30. My 10 'girls' have slowly been adding to that count over the past two weeks. Yesterday my granddaughter and I were so excited that we got a record 8 eggs. Today that record is broken with 9 eggs! That brings me to 5 dozen eggs in two weeks.

Such a silly thing to get excited about, but there you have it. I'm a full-fledged chicken person, slightly cracked!

Over that time the eggs that were laid were small - except for my second egg which was really two ends-of-eggs together. No small end, that baby looked like a short sausage. Now, while there are lots of small eggs, some of the eggs are getting closer to large grade. Yeah, me!

One small problem, though. For several days now I had been finding one egg on the coop floor - usually covered in poop. Today I found two floor eggs. One in the morning and one in early afternoon. Will the girls learn to use the nesting boxes like their coop-mates do?

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Linn,

c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s-----------

Yes, eggs ARE something to get excited about. It sounds like your flock is doing well.

3. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    put golf balls in the nest boxes and they should start laying in there

4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    OH YEAH!!! love it!! hey I have 16 and i still haven't gotten 16 in one day! I have gotten a dozen 3 times now...every time i come home i run to the nest boxes..my dh usually beats me there! its still eggciting and when i sell a dozen its even better hholding that money. I got 2 prepaid orders for eggs that haven't been laid! well i got the one dz filled today. Its awesome..only us "chicken"people understand..people at work just think i am crazy [​IMG] but its still AWESOME [​IMG] EGGS EGGGS

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do have golf balls in the nest boxes. White and orange balls for brown eggers. However, with the increasing cold, I've been thinking on getting 8 wooden eggs to keep in the house and switch them out morning and noon so the 'ladies' aren't sitting on an ice ball.

Am I over-thinking chicken rearing again?

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by