Just culled a day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickieBooBoo, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    He was my only Jap bantam chick, the other never hatched. I never had chick starter so I was feeding them hardboiled eggs and the others seemed to like it. Except for this one little guy, he was very active after hatched and then went downhill from there. I came home from school today and he was pretty bad, lying by himself in the corner, wasnt moving very much, eyes closed... I went to the feed store and when I got back he was even worse, I tried force feeding him a bit but his head started twisting back at odd angles and stuff. He wouldnt eat anything, and he only drank a tiny bit. I doubted he would have lasted until morning so I grabbed some tree-branch cutters and put the poor guy out of his misery. It was over quick and he went painlessly.

R.I.P- Japanese chickie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Poor guy. It happens. I am glad the suffering came to an end quick... One of my chicks in an order of 25 didn't make it more than a few hours after receiving. I removed him as soon as I noticed; as to avoid bad habits forming from the other chicks eating chicks...

May better fortune fine you in your future hatching endeavours.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I applaude you for being able to do that. You are a better person than I. [​IMG]

4. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I had a chick with splayed legs earlier on this spring and didnt make it. He suffered from starvation for a few days before finally dieing, I felt worse for letting that happen then for doing this.

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:I had a chick with splayed legs earlier on this spring and didnt make it. He suffered from starvation for a few days before finally dieing, I felt worse for letting that happen then for doing this.

[​IMG] I am sorry for your loss...and the only jap bantam to hatch too. [​IMG] I am with Debi, you are a good, brave person to be able to be so merciful. I don't think I would have the will power to do it, thus is why I have my wonderful neighbor [​IMG] (my hubby is a softy too)

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I now have some good news now to go along with the bad! After putting all the birds to bed I went to go turn off and clean the incubator because I thought the hatching was done. I walked into the dads office and heard some peeping and I thought "What the heck??" So I ran over and sure enough there was a little chick running around! He is 4 days late and absoulutly HUGE, his legs are soo thick! I put him on the palm of my hand and he pretty much covers my entire hand! He can hardy stand up at all because he is just so heavy! I stuck him in with the other chicks and he is bigger then the chicks who hatched 3 days ago!

7. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    instead of feeding boiled egg you can feed a yellow corn meal (enriched) for the first 3 days I feed all my new chick it and they do great then I mix a medicated feed and corn meal

8. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I didnt have any corn meal, I didnt have anything except layer ration and whole grains.

9. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I dont know if your layer ration is in pellet or crumble but you could have smashed up to ration into small bits and it would have been just fine

I have "dispatched" chicks a few times myself and its not easy and it never gets easy

10. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG] That's so sad.
    But good for you for doing the right thing, even though it hurt. I'm sure the little guy is looking down from the coop in the sky and thanking you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by