Just culled a hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggopolis, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Eggopolis

Eggopolis New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    Picked on by all the other chickens. They pecked her butt and there was some blood.
    We segregated her a few days ago and she was doing fine then we discovered she was eggbound. I read, researched and read more. Warm baths, tums in the water, dark warm room, olive oil, message. She just couldn't pass the egg. I put on a gloved and tried to help with no luck. Didn't want to break the shell as I've read that more than likely can turn into an ugly painful death.
    She tried SOOO hard. She was miserable. She passed a bit a water or fluid out her nose or beak and I knew there was nothing more I could do.
    I'm a 52 year old guy that's really attached to our animals. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
    Rest in peace little one... your suffering is over.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]You did the best you could for her!

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss - it is terrible to see them suffer - you did the right thing for her despite the pain you are suffering now - her interests were paramount and you are one great person for putting her interests before your emotions... I just culled one of mine - despite my tears, reservations, and sadness and no doubt yours - they are at peace now.

Suzie
    [​IMG]

4. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    You have my sympathies as I had to cull my first this morning as well... She wasn't able to walk and had falled upside down in a dust bathing pit. I put her upright and she walked a few steps with her wings taut and then fell on her back. I knew what I had to do. Not easy. It was one of my lovely salmon Faverolles who I was hoping to start breeding from. We know what we did had to be done. It was the best thing... *hugs*

5. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. evenstargirl

evenstargirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I am so sorry! [​IMG] You did all you could for her.... Poor thing! It was good of you not to let her suffer. It's so hard, though.

7. Eggopolis

Eggopolis New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    I cannot express how much I appreciate everyone's compassion and caring.
    I'm really quite moved by it all.

Thanks for the kind words and hugs...

Tom

8. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    [​IMG] I am sorry for your loss.

9. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Welcome to BYC Tom. Sorry to hear about your hen. You did the right thing for her and can take comfort in knowing that you did not leave her to suffer.

[​IMG]

10. Eggopolis

Eggopolis New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    Thank you very much.
    Feeling quite better about. What a difference a day makes.
    She was a great little hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by