Just culled the clutch and a question about IDing the chicks...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 26, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    First time hatching and I am on Day12 and decided to get rid of the 3 eggs that were showing clear. I don't know why I didn't throw them out earlier...just nervous i guess. But I cracked them open and non were fertilized. So feel good about my decision.

I am down to 3 keepers....Omlet, Poogle, Bob and Twitter.

Do you ever get "feelings' about what they will be?

I am pretty sure Poogle will be a Roo...[​IMG] just a feeling.

Someone said to put little leg bands, as these will be the kid's pets, to tell them apart...isn't that uncomfortable for them? What are some other way to ID the different chicks???

2. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Yes, there are other ways, although leg bands should not be uncomfortable if they are the right size. Many people just use stretchy, colored rubber bands on their legs to tell them apart.

You asked for another way?
    Take non-toxic (kids brands are good) markers in different colors and mark the back of the head or on a light patch with the marker. Do not use red- chicks will instinctively pick at it and harm the chick wearing it. But all other colors are good. [​IMG]

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    oh that's a cool idea...markers...(ok..NO RED) good to know, thanks

I will see if I can find small rubber bands and see which one I feel good with.

Now to just get 3 of the 4 left to hatch [​IMG]

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    We used small, loosely adjusted zip ties at first. Now we use the spiral leg bands. They're easy to put on, and should they somehow get tight without us noticing, they have some give.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I use the different colored zip ties and check every week or so to make sure there not getting to tight if they are I just snip of the old one and replace with a new one of the same color. I don't put them all on my chickens just the ones that look alot alike and are hard to tell apart til they get old enough that they have subtle differences that will allow me to tell them apart. Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by