Just curious-Cochin/Americauna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by geminipo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. geminipo

geminipo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Rainier, OR
    I bought several "pullets" from the feed store for laying hens. Well now we have a gorgeous Americuana (sp?) roo :/ ok fine. I didn't really want chicks or fertile eggs but oh well. Then a friend who was moving gave me some of her hens... and a cute little red bantam cochin roo (who BTW is very bossy and possesive of the hens).
    Well this summer we found 2 of our hens brooding *kinda fun* and now the Red Rock chicken (who is raising someone else's chick since they all laid eggs in the same 3 nests) has a Buff chick with feathered legs.
    My Wyandotte has 7 cute little chicks-so far most are black and a few of white spot of their heads... but 4 have no feathers on the legs and 3 have feathered legs...
    My question-
    Can I tell who the daddy roo is by the feathers on the legs or absense of feathers on the legs?? :)

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if none of the hens have feathered shanks, any one with them goes to the cochin roo

3. geminipo

Sep 26, 2012
    Rainier, OR
    I kinda thought since he is the ONLY one with feathered feet that those MUST be his :)

4. geminipo

Sep 26, 2012
    Rainier, OR
    Can he also produce chicks without the feathered legs?? *ugh*

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    yes, but if no moms have beards and a chick does it would be EE, but he could also produce chicks without :)

6. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    oh and straight comb could be either but pea comb would be EE if no pea comb hens :)

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the Americana if came from feed store is himself an ee...his chicks will more than likely have green legs as well. if you can get some pics of the chicks i'm sure we can help with who the parents could be.

8. geminipo

Sep 26, 2012
    Rainier, OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]this is the buff baby-she has feathered legs. forgot to check for green legs! :)

9. geminipo

Sep 26, 2012
    Rainier, OR
    and these are the 7 Wyndotts chicks-3 have feathered legs and 4 don't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They either have a little red bantam cochin daddy or a standard pretty americauna daddy-prolly some have one and some have another LOL

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the clean legged ones all appear to have beards so they are ee's and the feathered legged ones all appear to have cochin in them. also if dad is in deed red and mom is barred then you have some sex links in there as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by