1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just curious how many of you...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Yes, I take her off at least once a day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I just make sure she has plenty nearby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I put feed and water within reach of the nest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    just let your hens set their eggs? What I mean is, I see a lot of posts on here about people taking the hen off the nest to make sure she eats and drinks, how many of you do this? I've never done it, and I've yet to lose a hen because of broodiness. I have given hatching mamas a drink on the nest before so they don't have to get off, but that's as far as I've gone. So my question is if you remove the hen to eat and drink, or leave her to her own devices?

(mods please move if this is not the right forum [​IMG])

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Us! We successfully hatched out 9 chicks with a seasoned broody, though she'd never hatched before.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I have a LOT of hens, so my broodies wouldn't leave the nest for fear of another taking over. It was heat stroke hot here this summer, so I made sure the hens got off the nest long enough to eat and drink several times a day. They seemed to know that I'd guard the nests until they returned.

If they're in a separate brooding area, I just leave them alone. But this summer I had 5 hens all go broody at once, and there wasn't enough room in the broody pen for all of them.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I live near Kathy, and I did the same thing... We had triple digit temps much of the summer, so I knew the eggs wouldn't cool if I got my little Broody Silkie off the nest once or twice a day to make sure she ate and drank plenty of water.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I make sure mine get off at least once a day. If I'm not sure then I feel their crop. If there is some food in it, then I won't bother them or if it is hot out I may take them off again to get a drink.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We don't brood often, but when we did, I'd take my girl of the nest when I was outside so she could eat, drink, and dust bathe. After, she would come to me when she was done and actually peck my feet when she wanted me to put her back on the nest. It was rutine, though regardless, her comb turned orange from lack of nutrition. [​IMG]

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Water and feed for the hen has been enough for me over the years.. A hen will leave once a day to eat and drink, so i never thought i had to interfere much.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I leave her alone but make sure she has food fairly nearby. "Mama knows best".

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    We don't even have a broody!!!!

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Our B.O. Esther went broody on Thanksgiving, in vermont, and hatched out her only baby on X-mas. I took her off every day, and replaced her with a HOT, half filled milk jug, with some water squashed out, so it was softish, and more shaped to fit over the eggs. That way I didn't worry that they were going to be cold. I'd keep her locked away from the eggs for like 30 minutes, to make sure she ate and drank enough.. It was a serious pain in the butt, but I was glad to see the chick when it was all over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by