Just curious... I've had them as good layers for 3 years, never known the breed...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WasabiChicki, May 19, 2012.

1. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    The 2 hens in question (not the RIR or Barred) are 3 years old now & I've never known their breed.
    I took pics today to share:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They are black w/ a very iridescent green that shows in the sun. They have medium sized rose/red combs, most toes are yellow but a couple are black. They lay medium sized brown eggs.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    Austalorp? Is that how you spell it?
    Could these be that and what do you know about them???

3. Can't really see them well. Look to be Black Sex Links and also don't look to be rose combed, but have a single, straight comb. BSL usually have some red coloration on their neck and chest.

4. TinaK

TinaK Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    The black legs, evenly serrated combs, soft feathering.... says Australorp to me!

edited to add: When you say 'rose comb'... they don't look rose combed to me? (see below for pic of rose comb - not my bird!)

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Black sex links. Australorps are pure black.

6. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Songster

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    x2 we just got a black sex link, and she looks just like your birds. [​IMG]

7. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    Thanks! I always thought sexlinks but after looking at Australorp pics I thought maybe thats what they were & I got curious.
    As far as the "rose" comb... does that mean its fanned out like in the pic above, not the color of it then? I am not up to par on my chicken lingo...
    Mine are straight combed! [​IMG]

8. TinaK

TinaK Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Australorps are pure black with a beetle green sheen (as per standard). They have black eyes, straight combs and ideally have 6 - 8 serrations on the comb I think? They 'should' have black feet with pinkish white soles..... but hatchery stock can vary in colour. In Australia it is considered a serious flaw to have yellow legs in show stock.

Do your birds have any other colour like brown through them? Actually in the first pic they do look to have a bit of brown on their chest? They could be any sort of cross or maybe even something like a Jersey Giant? - I've seen them with yellow legs before?

And yup, Rose comb refers to that squished looking comb in the pic I posted rather than a nice straight one like your girls!!

9. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chirping

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    here's my BSL hen. her chest feathers are black/orange

[​IMG]

10. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    Thats my girl alright! They could be sisters [​IMG] Now I want more! They seem to be good layers
    & this year one of my BSL passed up the Barred Rock in size... She's huge! Yours looks big too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: