Just curious ...Prop 2?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Katy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just curious if Proposition 2 was passed in California yesterday.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I was curious as well.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The newspaper said it passed

5. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Yes it did. First think I saw on the news this morning. I wonder what is going to happen to the Battery Hens? My Husband says the egg farmers are going to go out today and kill them all. He is scaring me.
    Tina/tfpets

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Interesting! With the comments that were left about the newspaper article that terrielacy posted, I can already see an uprising about this one. I don't know whether it was a good thing that it passed or not. From my perspective, it was good because it is very inhumane the way those egg farms cage up those chickens or any other animals for that matter. On the other hand, the consequences in the food industry might not be very good. I'm just glad I have my own chickens to get my own eggs from.

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am on the fence with this one. Ripple effect for other states? If it passes does that mean prics on chicken, egg, and dairy products will rise?

8. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:It will not become operative until January1, 2015, so I don't see that happening.

It looks to have passed.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I didn't realize that it would take that long. That's good so it will give people, even small farmers, plenty of time to adjust. I am also wondering if the government might help fund any of the transitions. I am curious about that one, because my BIL owns a small farm (few cattle, few horses) here where we live and the government has funded them to fence in their creeks and add 4 new wells to their property so the livestock will stay out of the creeks. This might not be the same thing, but it has me wondering anyways.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It will not become operative until January1, 2015, so I don't see that happening.

It looks to have passed.

Some of them may, just in protest of the stupidity of the new law. It will certainly keep many of them from continuing with their birds when the deadline comes. I would think many of them will look to moving out of state.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by