Just curious... sexing turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kelidei, May 15, 2011.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I am a brand new mom to 5 Royal Palms... I also have a large flock of chickens... I am pretty darn good at figuring out the cockerels from the pullets... turkeys... not so much. They are only 1 1/2 weeks old and the only thing I noticed is that two of them have one wing feather that is longer than the feathers on the other ones... does that mean anything... What should I start watching for as they grow? thanks! [​IMG]

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    A beard! [​IMG] Just kidding, you will know before beards come in and even hens can get them. About 12-14 weeks you will be sure. Hens will strutt and fool you.

3. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Someone on here was talking about their four week old gobbling so you may get an idea on one or two of them sooner than that, but so far as I knwo, 12-14 weeks is the earliest to be sure.

4. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    my last years batch was hard as heck to figure out, then I realized at 4 mos they were all hens! [​IMG] so this year I will be watching development of the "knob"(snood) on their beaks. Hopefully out of the 5 babies I will get one tom! [​IMG] So far babies are only a week old.

5. gobblygoo

gobblygoo New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    Some Males will start strutting really young, (it's the cutest darn thing). Last year I got about 17 turkeys, I kept them in a horse stall to grow after they got out of their brooder. All the male turkeys ( 5 to be exact) would gobble when they heard the metal stall door latch move! They were about 2 mos old when this happened! Just an idea to try...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by