1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just curious...what do you think we are???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by acbear93, Nov 3, 2009.

1. acbear93

acbear93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    Ok, back in summer when I was desperate to find some fertile eggs for a first time broody, I bought some on ebay.....they were SUPPOSED to be Red Stars, a breed that I have had in the past and loved...when they were born, 3 were light yellow, and we thought they were the males...1 was reddish, and we assumed it was the female...It turns out, one of the light yellow ones may be a female, and the reddish one is the speckled mish mash one that I just cannot tell, it seems to be competing with the others that are definitely males...I am wondering do you think it is male or female...they are both about 12 weeks of age at this point...picture taken last night...what do you think?? Any ideas on breeds??? I suspect the white one is a Plymouth Rock pullet....Not sure what the other one is [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Are Red Stars sex links? If so, they are mixed breeds and will not breed true. Only the first generation will be Red Stars. If you have sex links and breed them, you will not get sex links. You will likely get a hodge podge.

BTW I love the coloring on the roo.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  3. acbear93

acbear93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    If this roo breeds with my other sex linked hens...will I likely get more hodge podge? All I really care about is that I will still get brown egg layers if I let my broodies do their thing in spring....would egg color change in the next generation? The other baby roo I have from the same hatch is pure white like the other picture, except that it is definitely a roo, big red comb and wattles where the photo I posted has no comb, no wattles, so that is why I suspect the white one is a pullet,...any comments are appreciated, thank you so much....

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    White one is girl

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, if you breed the hodge podge boy over some pure girls, you'll just get more hodge podge. If he carries the brown egg gene though, the eggs popping out the other end as adults should still be brown, just won't be feather sexable.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that Hodge Podge should be a new title for mixed breeds. Horses get to be called "grade." Why can't chickens have a name instead of mutt?

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:I like that, sounds good. I'll start using that, been trying to think of a word myself for cross breed chickens. I usually try to refer to the as mixes. I've never called them mutts, its sort of offensive, and too me a mutt is some dam@$&*ed ol' worthless dog.

I have quite a few Hodge Podge chickens and to be quite frank, some rank right up there with the best of my production layers, they can hold their own when it comes to egglaying and have some of the most interresting colors and personalities that you just can't get from the ol' ho-hum everyday breed chickens.

acbear93: sure cross them up, might have some interresting results. That's how every breed that I know came about. Somebody crossing this with that. Well h....ell its not like your going to come up with some kind of off the wall chicken that's gonna change up the chicken world as we know it. Have fun with them, and enjoy.

catdaddy

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs I have three, but mine aren't worthless mutts either. And I also have ol' ho-hum everyday breed chickens also and I love all of them.

I just can't call a chicken a mutt, it doesn't fit in my vernacular.

Remember, one man's junk is another man's treasure. It takes all types to makeup this ol' world.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Chickens are sometimes referred to as "Grades" too [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by