Just curious

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madcap621, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    If I decide to keep a pullet, hoping on a 'natural brooder' [Cochin] rather than for laying probability, is there a way to encurage her to be broody?

I guess I am asking: "which comes first, the fertile eggs or the broody hen?" i.e. if I have fertile eggs [let's sppose a gift from a breeder], if I put them in a nest-box pen with a hen of a breed known for 'broodiness', is she likely to set and hatch them? OR are hormones involved, and if she 'goes broody' I had better find some fertile eggs? [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's hormonal and you can't do anything to make her broody. Cochins tend toward that, though, and you could certainly try putting fake eggs in the nest like a clutch and see if her brain clicks. Usually, they go broody when you don't want or need them to and are oblivious when you do want them to brood.

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I've heard that if you put many eggs in the nest they will sense that they need to sit on them and they will, and if that doesn't work, they can be confined onto the eggs (with eating and pooping breaks of course) until they become broody. This is why a hen is more likely to become broody if you do not pick up her eggs regularly and harvest them [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They may go broody when you leave eggs in the nests only if they are inclined to go broody anyway. Most of mine would never go broody, no matter how many or how long eggs are left in the nest.

5. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I recently inherited a bowl of agate eggs, all sizes. Guess I could try her out when she is old enough. How fast do Cochins develop? She is 9 weeks old tomorrow-was hatched Oct. 9th [​IMG]

I will be seeing my "source" [a cousin with his doctorate in Poultry Science who works for the FDA and raises rare and heritage chickens as a hobby ] in June, '10. I am either blessed or cursed [​IMG] Last time I was there his chicks were just hatching and I came home an 'unplanned peep mom' -- making my way thru' dog crates from tiny to huge, finding homes for roos and planning construction of a coop in the spring. Ring any bells?

I just today spotted a discarded kitchen cabinet - small - and Formica top that I think may have possibilities. Planning a 'dumpster dive' tomorrow:celebrate looks like a real possibility for a wagon-based tractor coop!

edited for spelling and punctuation

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by