Just Cut My Girls Wings and GROUNDED THEM!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveBaz, Sep 22, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Well, I have been having issuers with my new girls 3 weeks old flying up on the roof of the coop. These girls are new to me and my other 3 chickens never ever flew up on to anything other than a perch. Now I have the 3 new girls and at the farm all the chickens were on top of the dog house on the coop on the feed box he even had an old tree stump that was 4 feet tall with perches on it. So naturally they have been trained or conditioned to be up higher than normal, the ground.

I decided to cut the right flight wings on each of the 3 new girls this morning. First I looked before cutting to make sure I was not going to cut through any blood feathers that may have developed and BOOM all the flight wings were cut to the tips. Now my experience with all the birds I have had over the years many birds and I have never seen one of my birds I cut flight feathers down could flap one wing very fast and slowly flap the other smoothly. THEY HAVE BEEN GROUNDED FOR THE TIME BEING, PERIOD!!

Steve

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We clipped our chickens wings too ... [​IMG] but they are still flying over the fence.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You have to cut back all the flight wings pretty good to stop them from catching air. Just be sure to cut only one side and check for and blood feather you would skip and not cut. In the begging you do not know how far but you can really get them short.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by