Just dirt floor coop

GrammysFarm

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2015
My hubby is almost finished with my coop.... there is really nothing but dirt and oak leaves on the ground where he built it. Do I need to put anything else in there??????????

Obviously we haven't put the wire up yet, the open side where the fence is laying is going to be a door to open and allow for easy cleaning.. it has linoleum floor.... (which I'm thinking I add my pine shavings to??????is that right).... and then there'll be a window on the west side and the south side will have access to the nest boxes... I'm thinking 2... I only have 6 chickens.... IF I get 5 or 6 more.. will that be too small an area? they can also get under the house.... and the door has a mechanism so that I can close them inside. they are right behind my dog pen, and beside my goat barn.

Last edited:
Dirt is fine. The whole perimeter needs to be dig proof, drainage needs to be good away from the run, and then add mulch, bagged shavings, and stuff to make a nice deep litter area. Mary

Thanks Mary!... drainage there won't be a problem, it's a higher place.... drains out into the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom