1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just discovered new laying hiding place and found 14 eggs from 2 hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Annabananabodanna, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Annabananabodanna

Annabananabodanna Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Boise, ID
    are they safe to eat? Just have been out there awhile and I didn't know it. I was looking in their nest boxes, but they chose to lay where I store the hay. What a bonanza! My first go at this so want to be sure they are ok to eat! Thanks

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Given them the float test. Put them in a deep enough pan of water, so the bad ones will float the good ones will sink to the bottom

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

The float test works great. I'm not sure what the weather is like where you live, but the hidden pullet nest I found a couple of weeks ago had 24 eggs in it and they were all fine--hadn't been over 70 here and mostly in the high 50's to mid 60's.

4. Annabananabodanna

Annabananabodanna Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Boise, ID
    thank you! All were fine!

5. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Must have been the day for finding stashes of eggs.
    I have been complaining that the girls aren't laying and put it down to the rain we've been having.
    Yesterday when I went out to them, I checked amongst the lillies and found 12 eggs!! Hooray.
    The float test showed that they were okay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by