Just discovered one of our young Silkies is a roo!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by dipsychicks, Nov 8, 2013.

1. dipsychicks

dipsychicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    Just had to share this as I found it hilarious that out of our 3 young silkies, the one I LEAST expected turns out to be a roo! He cock-a-doodle-doo'ed tonight! Just the other day i was all worried that "she" might be trying to lay an egg and couldn't find a safe spot to do it. So i went and got her a special box to lay in since all of our big girls lay in nests much higher than she could reach....well, our "Daisy" is now "Duke"! Or maybe "Dizzy" would be better since most of our chickens seem to recognize their names...LOL!

2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha:) I like Dizzy for a name!

1 person likes this.
  3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    He's dipsy's chick right? So he is a dipsy doodle.

4. dipsychicks

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    He seems to be responding well to Dizzy [​IMG]. He is also definately aware of his new found voice....haha! also, today when i entered the coop he came straight at me and pecked at my boots like he was trying to attack me. I tried to peck him back on his head but he ran too quick. then he turned back just as quick and came after my boots again. so i grabbed him and put him in a football hold like i had read somewhere in a thread that people do with roosters that act up. i held him with his head facing toward my back and proceeded to move about doing my thing. after a few mins i let him down and he tried it again. so i grabbed him in "the hold" again for awhile. i let everyone else outside and kept just the silkies inside. i made a point of hand feeding treats to him directly which he has never taken from me before. he did so very well this time so hoping to nip any bad behavior in the bud. i am still unsure of the other 2 babes; maybe hens? but one i am pretty sure is a roo. but a "wussy" roo? he/she's the runt and the one that i have the closest bond with. we'll see i guess.

5. dipsychicks

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    yep! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by