Just finished canning stock.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Dogfish, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Butchered over 60 chickens last weekend, which left us with a lot of scraps, and feet. Baked it all for 3 hours with some celery, carrots and onion, then tossed it all into two 5 gallon stock pots. Strained the mixture through cheese cloth after everything had simmered for about 8 hours, then cooled it overnight.

The next evening I skimmed the fat off the top,which was pretty easy since the stock had set up like jello. You know its good stock when it jiggles. Then I heated the mixture back up to a boil, seasoned it to taste, and I strained it once again. Again, I let it cool, and then a second skimming of fat the next morning.

Yesterday and today I had my pressure canner all set up, along with cookers to heat the stock, and also to boild water for jar and lid sterilization. A third propane burner heated up the pressure canner. All of this was done outside. In the end, I canned up total of 6 gallons of stock. 40 minutes at 15lbs, but the book only said 20-25 minutes at 11lbs. Better to over process than to chance it. I was able to cycle through a pot everyhour or so by keeping the stock hot and having multiple burners.

I also sorted throught the bones and such and took out the hearts, livers, and any chunks of cartiledge, meat and carrots, packaging those in 1 quart bags. I'll use that for dog food. So far, my dog approves.

If you haven't cooked with fresh canned stock before, try it. You'll never buy stock again.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    Congrats! That is a great feeling to have that in your pantry. I am really excited to process our for that same reason, I just wish that garden was as quick to produce as the chickens! I did the same thing with the stuff from the garden last year, it was amazing!

3. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    I know what you mean...! After doing all that work and seeing all of those beautiful full jars of deliciousness.... It feels so good!! My pantry is on the low end of all my home processed foods... Makes me kinda sad!! Can't wait to get cookin again! [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We've processed 75 birds within the last month. My plan right now it to make stock from all the leftover bits that are in the freezer and then boil it down until I have bouillon that I can freeze in pint freezer jars. I'm going to try this method with some and can stock from some of our next batches. We still have 175 birds left to process before we shut down for the summer so I should have plenty of parts to work with!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by