1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just finished Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamawolf544, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I have been on Jury Duty all week for a felony child (2) molestation case.
    That will take the wind from your sales let me tell you.
    He had 4 counts against him, I wont go into them because we are a family board.
    But I am proud to say we found him guilty on 3 counts, gave him 10 years per count and a $10000.00 fine per count.
    It was my first time in the legal system, and I am 50 yrs old. It was quite interesting watching the process. Didn't care much for the subject matter but somebody has to do it. [​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Thank you for performing your civic duty! You hear so many stories about people trying to get out of jury duty, and I know it presents a financial hardship for some people, but it's refreshing when somebody just shows up and does it.

[​IMG]

3. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I always wanted to be on a jury of an interesting case but they won't let me sit on one. Seems because I was an officer for 13 years they think I would be predujices(spelling)! I really don't think that would sway me but who knows!

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    In 2003 I served Jury Duty in a rape case of a father against his teenage daughter. I won't get into it here, but it was very disturbing and we all (the jurors) took our duty incredibly seriously, wanting very much to make sure we were sure before we convicted him, which we did. After we convicted him, we were informed that he had a prior offense against the same daughter and had served time for it. Apparently, the idiot mother allowed him to return to the home when he was released, where he reoffended. Needless to say, we were all very relieved that we in fact convicted him. This prior conviction was not admissible in court, so none of us knew this until afterward.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I sat on a jury a few years back. Kid was arrested while on parole for armed robbery, for having an ax handle in his truck, considered a weapon. Now, the kid was WORKING for Arizona Pipeline and the ax handle was part of his tool kit. The cop that arrested this kid got on the stand and said that this kid said veratim whatever it was.

Then the kid got on the stand. That kid did NOT have a full grasp of the english language in any way shape or form to have said VERATIM what that cop said he said. The attoryney for the kid asked the cop repeatedly if that is exactly what he said, and the cop never waivered.

Everyone was quick to convict, and me being who I am, was the lone holdout for a few hours.

1) Working at his job for over 3 years.
    2) Paid his bills on time.
    3) did not live in a gang area
    4) Recently married with a 2 month old child
    5) No brushes with the law since his release 4 years prior.

Not guilty. No way in hell was I going to send some youngster back to prison after he made all that effort to clean up his act and some ovezealous cop got up in his face.

PS - I love police. They rock. Sometimes they get it wrong.

6. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Good for you. We had a couple of holdouts that just didn't seem to think it was that wrong and maybe he should just get a pass.
    Afterwards we found out other info from the Judge and we absolutely did the right thing.
    It is shocking how 12 people can hear and see the same evidence and come to different conclusions. That is one of the things that makes us interesting.
    I watched and listened intently, and I was sure after ALL the evidence he was guilty. But when I got in the jury room and 2 people thought ...No, not so much guilty, just bad judgement......he was a good man????????
    [​IMG] good men dont do stuff like that to little girls.

7. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG] good men dont do stuff like that to little girls.

Amen [​IMG]

Glad its over for you [​IMG]

8. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:that is still a common attitude. Especially among older generation of people, who seem to think that molesting, rape, or taking advantage of women and children isn't that bad, that somehow women and children are there for the man's pleasure, or they just live in them an's world and are inconsequential.

you would be shocked how many people blame young girls and women for being assaulted based on how they look or what they wear.

It makes me sick

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I used to be the jury clerk here in my town. You won't believe the excuses I heard from people who did not want to do jury duty. Myself and DH both served on a jury (I served while being jury clerk). It is the system we have and it is great when it works. I had a friend who had a false charge made against him he took it to jury trial they found him not guilty. So the system does work. I do love watching our criminal justice system its not perfect but its better then some.

10. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I personally believ any that molest kids a should be hung up in town center and cas*****d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by