Just finished my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cmknight, Oct 4, 2012.

1. cmknight

cmknight Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    My Coop
    I am new to raising chickens and just got done building my coop. I browsed on here for a long time to get ideas and advice on how best to do a lot of things like roosts, nesting boxes, and run. I have added pictures
    [​IMG]

The back side of the coop. The left side are the two nesting boxes. The box on the right I call the "water box". It contains a five gallon bucket that I plumbed with some pvc to carry water to a watering cup inside the coop and down to the area underneath the coop.

[​IMG]

Here is the inside. You can see the two nesting boxes. This is the first watering cup that goes to the inside. I put down vinyl flooring to make it easier to clean.

[​IMG]

This in the roost with a little plexiglass window. Below the roost, I put a piece of chicken wire where to poop will fall through to a draw that I can pull out and make it much easier to clean. The bottom of the drawer is also lined with vinyl to ease up cleaning.

[​IMG]

This is the area below the coop. The chickens can get out of the sun or rain. You can also see the second watering cup that comes out the bottom. I also hung the feed bucket under hear.

[​IMG]

This is the front of the coop. A ramp leading from the chicken door to the run. I large enough door for me to walk through and clean the run. And the run roof is covered with corrugated fiberglass. I also put a small window in the door to the inside of the coop.

[​IMG]

This is the lid to the nesting boxes. Makes it easy to get the eggs.

The total construction cost me around 50-80 bucks. I used mostly free material. Most of the wood was from pallets I got for free from work. The vinyl flooring, shingles for the roof, and plexiglass were some junk that my parents had. I had to buy nails, screws, chicken wire, pvc pipe, watering cups, and corrugated fiberglass.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. I would love to hear any feedback.

P.S. My ladies are 2 Australorps, 2 Americaunas, and 2 Black Sex Links.

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Lovely coop - very well done! It's practical but pretty at the same time. You should be proud of your accomplishment, and I'm sure your chickens will joyfully reside in their new home...terrific job!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. Eg-Head

Eg-Head Out Of The Brooder

Good Looking Coop!! Please come over and instruct my husband how to build a nice one like yours!! Hint, Hint!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by