Just finished my first crop surgery, have a question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dusty910, May 12, 2011.

1. dusty910

dusty910 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    CT River Valley
    My little bantam hen, who is 2, had a huge crop. I tried all the remedies suggested on here and decided that it was impacted. With my husband as my surgical assistant, we got through the surgery (removed more than a cup of straw, something she's never eaten before). Do not have any antibiotics, other than people ones and haven't found any locally. Can I use people ones? Should I try to call my vet for some - how necessary is it? I left the crop wound open but covered it with antibiotic lotion (no caine in it) prior to stitching the skin closed & tried to keep everything as sterile as possible. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts or opinion. My stomach is still queasy, I can't believe I did this. Geez, I really love that hen. [​IMG]

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    You did good..I don't know about the meds..someone else will..but you did good. [​IMG]

3. rynegold

rynegold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    My hat's off to you for doing the surgery in the first place; way to go! I'll bet you don't call a vet to cull a bird either. These aren't pets; they're chickens.... ok, for some people they're pets. I guess. [​IMG]

m

4. dusty910

dusty910 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    CT River Valley
    Thanks for your support - it was pretty upsetting for me to have to do this (weak stomach lol). Time is of the essence with the antibiotic questions, calling my vet in 15 mins but they don't do poultry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by