Just finished my new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rikithemonk, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    Hello All,

Brand new to the whole homesteading thing but trying to be more self sufficient. Anyway, I just finished my very first coop and will be getting my 5 hens this Saturday. They will be Americana's about 8 weeks old. Any thought or suggestions about my coop would be appreciated. I figured on 18 inches head room on the inside for the perches.

2. rikithemonk

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    The runs are both four by eight and the coop itself is four foot square. Il only have the you tube video now, but will be posting actual pics this evening.

3. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Love your video!!! Look the simplicity of the coop too....

4. rikithemonk

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    Thanks.

I tried to give some information when I made that video. There are alot of chicken coops and tracters on the internet, but they seldom give specifics like what length the hoops are or what size pipe was used. I try to add that info and also to cover some of the mistakes I learned from. Im rather happy with the coop, but I do wish the doors would close all the way. I do intend to put a metal roof on this coming weekend.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I like it. Very simple. Very easy. I like the runs, and that gives me an idea for the runs I need to make to protect my silkies. Thanks for posting the video.

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Enjoyed the video.

7. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Looks good and simple, the best kind!

A couple of suggestions... Chicken wire is not very effective at keeping predators out so I would be sure to secure your girls at night at the least. You could also replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth which is stronger and harder for predators to get through. If you choose to leave the chicken wire I would make your chicken doors more secure. It would not take long for a raccoon, rat, possum, or mink to get in through the small gap that remains when you close the door.

Don't want to be a Debbie - Downer... just want to make sure you haven't done all of this great work just for an accident to happen...

Really, overall great design!!

8. FiveForAll

FiveForAll New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    I really enjoyed your video. I hope you continue to post your results with your hens and how your design is working. I used to sell Panduit products and unless their formulation has changed the white ties are not UV stable and will break down, get brittle and snap in sun light. They offer the same line up in a black UV stable product. Regardless, the white may last a year. Good luck!

9. rikithemonk

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    Im completely new at this and love the feedback and suggestions. I just finished the electric fence i decided to add to it. Here are some pics to liven up the thread. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I moved the eye screws from the side to the front. The doors close much better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is my solar fence controller. Note the steel ground to the left.

10. rikithemonk

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    The girls are here!!!!!! [​IMG]

I apologize, I thought I Purchased Americana's however i have been told that I actually got reds.

Here are my reds. The girls are so funny. Since I put them in the tractor they have been really skittish and have mostly hid in the coop. I have been told that they were kept in a dark place and their new home is bigger and has much more light. sadly the wife didn't take pics of their previous home.

My first chickens ever. My five reds.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by