Just finished our new Breeding Pens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OkChickens, Mar 8, 2012.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have a few 1 Breeding Pair of Chocolate Orpingtons and One Pair of Lavender Orpingtons that I needed to make a Coop for so I decided to make 2x8 Pens. I also am getting 2 Trios of KO Shamo this Saturday and I needed a place to house those! So today I built the breeding pens! All I have Left to finish is the 6" Piece of Plywood to keep the shavings in the Breeding Pens! I built them out of 2x2's and 3x8 inch Plywood. Let me know what you think.

Here are a few Pictures.

The frame with the Back and Right side walls.
    [​IMG]

Moved into place with doors framed and just needs wire and doors hung.
    [​IMG]

Everything is done except a piece of Plywood at the Bottom of each pen.

The Top pen will house a pair of Chocolate Orp Bantams. The middle 2 pens will house 2 trios of KO Shamo. The Bottom Pen will house a Pair of Lavender Orpingtons for now. I have 1012 week old Lavs growing out in a coop that these will be joining here in a month or so. When the Lavs get moved it will be my Broody Pen for a hen to sit and hatch eggs.
    [​IMG]

This the middle pen there are 2 2x4 pens that will house a trio of KO Shamo on each side. I have a solid plywood wall dividing them because they would fight through the wire if not.
    [​IMG]

View or the bottom pen.
    [​IMG]

Nate

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. ENVY

beautiful, wish i had that

3. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    They were really easy to build and didn't cost very much in materials either. I will post a few pictures of them with the Birds in them this weekend. I am getting the KO Shamo on Saturday Morning.

Nate

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. More ENVY, i want shamos so much

5. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have O Shamos (they are 31 inches tall) and I am getting the KO Shamo (like 1 foot tall) I really like them! They are really neat birds! If you ever want any eggs to hatch pm me!

Nate

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Two questions: Aren't they a bit small? And I don't think 6in kick boards will be tall enough. When mine scratch, it goes at least a foot in the air.

I wouldn't turn them down if you sent them my way, though. They'd make fab brooders! I could raise bantams and LF separate and have lots of different ages on the go *wanders off dreamily*

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I like them!! I would add a board to the front to keep the shavings in though. Build a sort of "trough". It wouldn't take much to put a couple of boards on the floor of each pen so your shavings stay in. Otherwise-- LOVE. Is that back piece ONE solid piece??? I can't think of anywhere that sells a piece that large-- what is the side of the back piece-- or did you piece it together with two pieces? Thinking of adding something just like this to my barn for my silkies.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma

I'm thinking about building a few to sell. They are about $140 or so in materials.Maybe a little less. It took me about 3 hours to cut everything and assemble it. Them maybe 1 hour to hang the wire and hang the doors also. So 4 hours total in labor. It was really easy to build. I didn't really plan it out either. I just had a picture in my head of how I wanted it to look and in turned out pretty much the same! I went to home depot and bought 27 2x2's and 4 sheets of 3/8 inch plywood. I might build 1 more for my self and i have all of the measurements for everything so it should go a lot faster next time.

Nate

9. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    No it has 1 4x8 sheet and a 2x8 sheet on the back. The way i put it together makes is look like 1 sheet. The overall dimensions are 2 ' deep by 8' long and 6' tall. It would work great for silkies. It would work great for 3-4 on each level! Right now I have a few 5 week old chicks in there until I finish our 12x20 coop.

Nate

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  10. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    WOW very nice pens. Great Job
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by