Just finished setting 7 RIR eggs in my Brinsea Mini. Question inside.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bsee4u, Feb 19, 2011.

1. bsee4u

bsee4u Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    I had to buy a dozen RIR eggs this morning, not a big deal they were $2.00 for the dozen. I put 7 in my incubator (that is all this type holds) based on nothing else but trying to choose the lighter colored eggs to help with candling. I have left the other 5 in the carton in a closet and they should theoretically be OK for another 7 days, the eggs were taken off the nests for me this morning so they are fresh. My question is if I candle the eggs in the bator in 5-6 days and see some not developing I should be able to swap with some of my 5 leftovers. However if all candle good, you think the 5 left would be OK to eat or would they have to be in the fridge for that? Also, if you think I should not eat them, what about scrambling them up for my existing flock of egg layers?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You really want to handle a staggered hatch in the Brinsea Mini? Do you have a separate hatcher for the eggs ready to go into lockdown 5 days earlier than the others?

3. bsee4u

bsee4u Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Yes, I have 3, I use those gigantic tupperware things you get at Walmart for $12.00. You have any idea on the eating part?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ummm, big plastic things are brooder bins, not hatchers. A hatcher is a separate unit with heat and higher humidity for the lockdown, final 3 days of incubation.

No clue about eating 5 day incubated eggs, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by