1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just finished the new roost.......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dakotafig, Feb 22, 2015.

1. dakotafig

dakotafig Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    Manhattan, KS
    So, I just finished the new roost for my 7 hens. I thought I would share a couple of pictures. It was kind of funny, they must have been confused for the first night. I went out there just after dark and they were all lined up on the ramp.

Hopefully since I put them up on the roost board tonight they will get the hint tomorrow.

For me the purpose of building this was so I could have a contained area of stall dry right below them to help make cleaning easier. The ramp I put on a hinge so I can raise it up and easily have it off the floor for when I clean that bedding.

Started out with a couple chickens and a store bought tiny coop, and as about everyone on here knows, that doesn't last long till you are expanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Your new digs look quite lovely! And yes, they will get the hang of it in a day or so… such are our birds. Looks as though you have done your homework and created a top notch, first class setup for you and your charges. I love the white birds with the black necks, are those Columbia rocks? I got a chuckle out of the tiny, throw away coop so many folks start with, but regardless of your method of entry, the pleasure of having birds is worth the price of admission. Lucky flock, lucky you. Oh, and welcome to BYC as well.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

[​IMG]

3. dakotafig

Oct 21, 2014
    Manhattan, KS
    They are light brahma's. They lay good size blue eggs, at least mine do. They are very gentle. My banty is a buff brahma, same neck coloring just buff color instead.

Of course the other three are buff Orpingtons.

I have gathered lots of information from this site over time. Always trying to be prepared. :)

4. Chquinta

Chquinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    [​IMG]

Just added this little run to my 4 month chickens house that's inside the big house/run of my adult chickens.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ummm...... My Light Brahma's don't lay blue eggs...can you post a pic of said blue eggs?

6. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Yeah, I was going to say... If you're getting blue eggs, they ain't brahmas ;)

7. dakotafig

Oct 21, 2014
    Manhattan, KS
    Sorry, I guess they are more green. The buff Orpington's lay the brown eggs on the right.

What color should they be laying?

[​IMG]

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Brahmas lay light brown eggs. If you post photos of the "light brahmas" in your flock we can help you to properly identify them.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you post a better shot of the bird sitting in with the BO's (the one with the dark collar showing)? Also the bird with it's back to the camera?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm thinking the 'orps' may be easter eggers?

Close clear pics of faces and legs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by