Just finished the tractor, kinda

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arthurpete, Apr 30, 2011.

1. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    For the most part it is done, i still have to add a few things here and there (coop door, roost and poop board inside, auto feeder, paint, etc. [​IMG] which means i am far from done. I also have to attach the run to the coop and possibly add a roof to the run but i have two large pecan trees that provide shade all day so that is a maybe. The run is 4x8 with an additional 3x4 under the coop. Coop itself is 4x3x3.5 - for four chicks 1 black sex link and 3 gold.

I initially thought i was going to do a hoop design and then ultimately decided to use a square frame. I used conduit for the run to cut on weight. I briefly attempted to make the run door a conduit frame but it was just too flimsy. The coop is raised about a foot and half and made from very thin plywood 5/16 to also cut down on weight. I used the 2x4 wielded wire to cover the entire run including the bottom and then used a 2ft roll of hardware cloth around the base. Overall i am fairly happy, it is light enough to maneuver and should be easier once the coop and run are attached. I believe i spent just over $200 including chicks. I was able to reuse the wielded wire from an old dog pen and had some scrap 2x4 but most of the materials had to be bought in my 5 or 6 trips to the Depot. [​IMG]

I built their roost boxes from cedar fence planks. Just the frame is cedar, the bottom is plywood and the filling is pine shavings. I did this before i read about all the no no's on using cedar but i am hoping that it is ok cause hardly any of the cedar is exposed and in my opinion the pine shavings were more pungent than the cedar. what say you? Please offer up suggestions and critiques as i am a newbie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    tough crowd

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    I like it! [​IMG]

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I like it 2!!!!!

5. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    That looks surprisingly spacious for a tractor. Very nice! [​IMG]

6. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Beautiful!! Lucky chickens!

7. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Really nice! [​IMG]

8. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Nice tractor! I'm a tractor-loving lady, with 2 tractors currently in use. (1 for my Jersey Giants, and 1 for our rabbit.) Currently working on a new chick tractor.
    Your tractor is so awesome, way cooler than ours. I love it!

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Very nice! [​IMG]

10. WatWasIThinking!!!

WatWasIThinking!!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    [​IMG] Nice job!! It will make for some happy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by