Just for fun.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by n3kms, Feb 23, 2015.

1. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I just hatched some chicks in my new little incubator for the first time. I don't have my chickens separated by breed and I have two roosters. I just collected some eggs and put them in the incubator.
    My hens are 2 Crested Cream Legbar , 4 Half CCL/Half white leghorn, I have one blue laced red wyandotte, and 10 barred rocks.
    My roos are a crested cream legbar and a blue laced red wyandotte.

Can you guess the parentage of these chicks? If not, just enjoy the cuteness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC

3. n3kms

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Thank you @StarMeKritten . I knew someone would be able to decipher that a little for me. I think I'm relatively intelligent but this chicken genetics is hard stuff. Am I right to think that if they have blue on them then a BLRW had to be involved?
    [​IMG]
    These were the eggs and
    [​IMG]
    These were all seven of the chicks hatched.
    That would mean that my BLRW roo is not as timid as I thought he was.

4. StarMeKritten

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    What color are your BLRW? They come in blue, black, and splash versions. If your rooster is a splash, then all of his chicks would be blue. If he's blue, then about half of his chicks would be blue and the other half black. All the blue chicks would still be his- but not all his chicks would necessarily be blue. If he has a rose comb (which is dominant) then at least half his chicks will have a rose comb. If he carries a copy of the recessive single comb gene and is crossed with a single combed breed (like the rocks and legbars), half his chicks will have single combs. If all of his offspring have a rose comb, you'll know he has two copies of the rose comb gene (which is a good thing). That's a good thing to know if you plan to start breeding pure wyandottes.

Keep posting photos as they grow! As time passes, it will be easier to see who their parents are. Also, I like genetics puzzles :)

5. n3kms

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I can tell you understand and like genetics! He is a splash.
    [​IMG]

6. Jessorr2

Jessorr2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I can't wait till my chicks hatch- your chicks are adorable !! I bought shipped eggs to put in my incubator,
    but i've just purchased 2 more roosters to cover my hens I will go pick them up later this week - I currently have 1 rooster and 15 hens and my fertility rate is really low it seems

7. n3kms

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks. This was my first incubation attempt. I was so anxious but it turned out well. I have some eggs on order but I decided to try my little incubator out on some of my eggs first. I knew my fertility had been okay when I cracked eggs but I didn't realize that my BLRW had been the busy one. He must be sneaky. He's a really big guy but the CCL roo bosses him around. I just love a pretty chickie. Fun thing about barnyard mix, never know what your going to get. Well, @StarMeKritten might know but it's a cool surprise for me. I love the little gray(blue) color. I have a gray cat that is beautiful.

8. StarMeKritten

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    I still have a whole lot to learn! I hatched a bunch of mixed breed chicks from my flock last year. It gave me a good start on learning about chicken genetics, as does reading everything I can find. It helps that I also have BLRW. :)

I love a good surprise too. I'll be putting some of them in the incubator this year too. I have a few goofy looking mixed breed bantams in my flock that could produce offspring with quite a variety of colors and characteristics. I'll just have to wait and see. :)

9. n3kms

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee

Yeah, this whole chicken thing is pretty fun. I did not candle my original eggs before putting them in the incubator. I didn't realize how much you could learn about the shell quality. So I was looking at some with a flashlight yesterday and my husband said " your not going to put some more in that incubator, are you?" He doesn't know how bad I want to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by