just found 3 eggs in a potted parsley plant in coop and broody girl again

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
running out of room in the first unused older coop that Im storing some of my herbs and pepper plants. So I put so far two potted herb plants in their RV coop.
I was moving it around to other side of coop so I could add another bigger pot to coop for overwintering with lots of light. There is plenty of room in the coop..
Lo and behold when I felt if soil of plant needed some water... felt eggs. Rah thank goodness they aren't prob but two or 3 days old. The one hen vent looks dried up and the others are molting.
I guess Ill have to block her from jumping in big pot and egg laying.. silly butt chicken girls
also my one small hen is acting broody AGAIN two times in just a few months. I keep carrying her out in her tote nest box and saying" no eggs and we have no ROO ROO. Now she ran back in and now sitting on the roost instead of either nest boxes. she's a hard headed little butt.
Thanks all I should have my head examined for getting girls again

Haha! Good thing you found those eggs!
She will still be broody even without a rooster... silly girls.
I normally keep taking the broody hens out of the nesting box. I know others put the broody hen in a crate with her own food and water until she breaks her broody streak.

Last edited:
later after I wrote this post my biggest hen was in the parsley pot again. I even put a stool in front of it. She didn't have time to finish her egg laying and jumped up the side of roost and exited the coop. Now I stuck a metal STOOL OVER THE SQUARE POT instead of in front of it....if she does it again I guess Ill have to remove the pot
EE back inside too sometimes on the roost and other times back in one of the tote nest boxes.... I think I took her out like 5 times today. Prev I was exasperated and use the "broody girl jail." months ago. One gal prob took 3 weeks to finally give up using couple days of jail and constantly carrying Nest box outside.. which is a pain. Cause my door is outside of their big run and round the corner.. Stepping carefully over and balancing over the trailer tongue and on to the step stool of the rv coop...
Thank goodness EE was on the roost tonight with her sissies instead of Nest box. so that I didn't have to hold up the box and persuade her to jump out and onto the roost....
Im sure the circus will continue...RAH

Back
Top Bottom