Just found baby chicks in my coop

chickenlover210

Songster
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
the Usa
Well, I just found baby chicks in my coop and I don't know how long they have been there because they could have been hiding but they are dry and fluffy. The store is closed and I have no idea what to feed them. I can't get out untill tomorrow. What can I feed them in the mean time?

I would just stick to the hard boiled eggs.nothing else.
and water you could add a dash, sugar so they get used to drinking water then
add 1 tablespoom (ACV) apple cider vinegar
to a gal of water (after 2 week old).and my birds are on that for their life time .
keeps from getting worms, shine to their feathers and just all round healthy.
and no medicated feed as least thats how mine are raised.

A day or two of layer isn't likely to hurt them, but they won't be able to eat the pellets very well unless you crush them up a bit. The calcium in the layer is way to high for chicks so it's not good to feed them layer, but they won't get enough in a day to cause problems. I've fed mine scrambled eggs when I had an early hatch and (bad me!) forgotten to get starter the week before when I was at the feed store.

I've got to ask--how is it that you came home to chicks in the coop? Are they just running around in there or do you have a brooder with heat lamp all set up in there already?

ETA: OOps, missed the ? about crushed layer. I'd do it if I didn't have any eggs to feed them, but the aside from the high calcium layer is lower in protien then growing chicks need--again, prob. not a big deal for a day, but if you can I'd still scramble them up and egg or two to go with it.

Last edited:
Or did you have a broody hen?! Congrats!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom