Just found baby duckling...what to do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agentzoey, Apr 16, 2009.

1. agentzoey

agentzoey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Crossing a busy street of course...looked forever for the family or a family and no luck. Since we are raising chickens of all ages (some hatching soon) I thought I might be able to raise it...Audubon society says find it a family of ducks...but I've seen mother ducks peck others' ducklings to death. SOoo, anyone have any advice? What will it need when it's a grown duck? A pond? A friend? Any help is appreciated.

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Welcome to your new little duck! [​IMG]

If you are feeding your chicks medicated feed please don't feed the duck that, they have specific duck feed for ducklings. I feed Flock Raiser to mine.

He won't need a pool, alot of people just use those little baby pools for their ducks. Since I am assuming you are keeping it, will you keep it in the pen with your chickens or will you give it its own area?

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i just switched to plain chick grower so that my duck and goose can eat it along with the chickens.

4. agentzoey

agentzoey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I would prefer to keep it with the chickens...but I want to do what's best for it. I read other people post that chicken starter is ok...but you say no - why? Not the right nutrients or harmful?
    Thanks so much for your help! My daughter is going to be over the moon. [​IMG]

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    AS long as its rasied with chicks it will be fine living with them when they are older . But if the ducklings turnn out to be a drake he will try to breed your hens when her get older so you might want to get him a gal pal . If its a female it will have no problems with the hens but it would still like a duck friend

Chick starter has medication in it for the chicks but it is deadly for ducklings . I use layer crumbles instead of chick starter that way i can give it to every thing and not have to worry about giving it to other birds that can have it

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that it's the medicated starter that's the problem.

7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    In most states mallards are protected and you need a federal permit to have them. If you would like I can help you find a rehab around you. When we get people who are willing and able we will sub permit them for baby ducks we find it a great help! We get swamped with baby ducks.

8. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I buy unmedicated flock raiser crumbles. All my peps and ducklings start with that!
    If you could try to get it a friend. It will be happier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by