Just found hen on 27 eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AuroraJules, Jul 31, 2010.

1. AuroraJules

AuroraJules Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Yes, 27! Good lord! She couldn't possibly hatch all these could she? I'm sure you're going to tell me to candle them. How bright a light do I need?

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Fisrt thing is get a pic of that , second I have no idea what to do what an egg hoarder. arnt you glad I was such a big help LOL luck to you!

3. AuroraJules

Jul 11, 2010
    Well, it is pretty amazing how much she's fluffed out trying to get them all covered and how well she's done. I'm just wondering if I should take them all away at once to candle, or leave a few so she stays put.

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I would leave a few and don't forget to mark the ones you are letting her keep so you can take out any new ones. (just in case) you never know whats going to happen. OH, have fun, and don't worry.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wow if all those hatch out she won't even be able to sit down!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i have a banty hen with 10 baby chicks a standard hen should be able to handle atleast twice as many

7. Peep Talk

Peep Talk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    My Barred Rock hen hatched out 12 and had plenty of room left. I had a bantie hen handle 15 babies easily as well. If she can get all 27 to hatch, she will be able to handle them all [​IMG]

Congrats on some future fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

8. AuroraJules

Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks for the input. She's definitely stolen from others. Here's to candling for the first time. I definitely should be able to tell what's viable after three days if the "read" the pictures right. Thanks again.

9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    its hard for me to tell good ones at three days. day 14 and on is better for me.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have a hen turkey that was sitting on 30 chicken eggs last year. 26 hatched! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by