just found my 2 month old Belle dead in a roost

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensandkittens, May 16, 2010.

1. chickensandkittens

chickensandkittens New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Alabama
    I free-range my chickens on our acre during the day, but close them in their moveable coop at night. I just went out to lock them in and found one of my 2 month old sex links dead in the roost. She was just running around today. It's not hot. It's been raining and they love the extra worms. One of her eyes was glazed over and the other one looked bloody, but there seems to be no other visible injuries to her body. I don't know if she was attacked. I know a traditional predator would have eaten her if it hadn't gotten frightened away, but I also think that would be more likely to happen at night. We have a cat who has happily lived with the chickens up until now--(and maybe she still is)--but she did have kittens a week ago. Perhaps her protection senses are in overdrive. Could she have injured Belle and then Belle went back to the roost to die?

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I am very sorry for your loss. Sounds like she got hurt somehow. I hope you figure it out.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Bloody eye? As in blood shot/inside...or like the eye was punctured and bloodied up? If it was inside, maybe a head injury that caused her to hemorrhage? v [​IMG]

4. chickensandkittens

May 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Her eye was bloody around it as if she had been injured--not bloodshot. I knew I loved the chickens, but I wasn't prepared for this many tears.

5. chickensandkittens

May 16, 2010
    Alabama
    I'm Tracy. I had 7 hens--now 6. I have a cat named Margaret who just had 5 beautiful calico kittens. I have a hard-working husband and a ten-year old daughter.(the youngest of nine children and the last at home.) I hope I didn't neglect Belle's needs in any way. I hope I protected her enough.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am sorry to hear about Belle. I don't believe you neglected her. Sounds like you are really trying to protect your girls. Let the tears flow then think of Belle over the Rainbow Bridge waiting for her friends some day. She is happy and healthy there.

7. ChixPix

ChixPix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry about your Belle. You didn't do anything wrong!
    You are a softie like me.. now i'm all teary eyed too [​IMG]

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    [​IMG] I haven't a clue what it could have been. [​IMG]

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah...I feel bad for you. Don't beat yourself up...you took good care of her and you may never know what happened.
    We do the best we can to protect them but aside from taking them all down to the bank and renting a big safety deposit box to keep them in...nothing is foolproof.
    And what kind of life is living in a box at the bank going to be?
    I had one run into a wire fence and break his neck...I found him jammed into the fence. Poor little guy.
    Some things we just can't help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by