just found out a hen is a cockerel

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clairegareth, Oct 20, 2013.

1. clairegareth

clairegareth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    Hi we have just found out from putting pics on here one of our hens is a cockerel,,,we have decided to let them have a few chicks,,,do they need seperate coops and are sultans broody hens I have no clue where to start plz heeeeelllllppp

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I only have one Sultan but she is very broody. She went broody for the first time after laying her 29th egg. This year she brooded 3 times and is still raising her last batch that are now 8-9 weeks old.

I have found it is a good idea to have a way to segregate a broody hen so the other hens don't disturb her while she is sitting. Typically I will partition off a small corner of the coop where she is sitting and give her her own food and water bowls. After the chicks hatch, I leave the new family there for a few days to bond and then remove the partition and the chicks are raised from then on in the flock.

3. clairegareth

clairegareth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    thats great advice thanks,,,,we have a large coop that leads staright onto our land,,,and we have 2 smaller pens that currently have nothing in them but a spare coop so that wouldnt be a prob to seperate them,,,just not sure wether we are prepared enough to do it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by